This week in AI & Machine Learning: Multiple sclerosis gait monitoring, Levi’s 168 years of data, Apple is buying the most AI companies, PyTorch 1.8.1 neural network profiler, Text Classification using GPT2 and more!
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- Machine learning helps spot gait problems in individuals with multiple sclerosis
- Levi’s Katia Walsh on AI: You can do a lot with 168 years of data ← Great example of how you don’t need to be a new company to start using machine learning and how you might already have an advantage with years of data.
- Oil Industry Turns To AI To Help Confront Daunting Challenges ← We’re no strangers when it comes to working with computer vision in the oil and gas industry! Check out some of our oil and gas use cases.
- How AI Can Help Companies Set Prices More Ethically
- Apple bought more AI companies than anyone else between 2016 and 2020
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- Introducing PyTorch Profiler — the new and improved performance tool ← This new deep learning performance profiler in PyTorch 1.8.1 looks awesome!
- Recursive Classification: Replacing Rewards with Examples in Reinforcement Learning
- Constructing Transformers For Longer Sequences with Sparse Attention Methods
- OpenCV Template Matching (cv2.matchTemplate)
- How to Manually Optimize Machine Learning Model Hyperparameters
- CLIP, a model that smokes everyone else
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Brain Meets | Virtual Happy Hour (Apr 7–7:00pm PST)
- Text Classification using GPT2 and Pytorch (Apr 9 9:30am PST)
- PyTorch Ecosystem Day (Apr 21–8:00am PST)
- The Applied ML Summit (Apr 21–9:00am PST) “This is a two-day, free virtual interactive event on data engineering for applied machine learning.”
- Sixgill events ← I’ll be posting computer vision events for April next week, so keep an eye out!.
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Recommender systems and high-frequency trading | Practical AI
- Legal Tech, Powered by Machine Learning | SuperDataScience
- Can Language Models Be Too Big? with Emily Bender and Margaret Mitchell | TWiML
- Applying RL to Real-World Robotics with Abhishek Gupta | TWiML ← Applying reinforcement learning in the real world is hard. Learn about some of the common problems and how to overcome them.
- AI+X: AI Innovation in Healthcare | DeepLearningAI
- 3 Questions: Artificial intelligence for health care equity | MIT
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- High-Fidelity Pluralistic Image Completion with Transformers
- USB: Universal-Scale Object Detection Benchmark
- Scaling-up Disentanglement for Image Translation
- Faraway-Frustum: Dealing with Lidar Sparsity for 3D Object Detection using Fusion
- Self-Supervised Training Enhances Online Continual Learning
- Layer-Wise Data-Free CNN Compression
- More Photos are All You Need: Semi-Supervised Learning for Fine-Grained Sketch Based Image Retrieval
🤝 Connect with AI practitioners of all levels
- Stay connected with artificial intelligence and machine learning practitioners around the world! Slack Group | LinkedIn Group