This week in AI & Machine Learning: The UN using AI for peace, using machine learning to rescue clinical trials, robots for hospitals, PyTorchVideo framework, training transformers at scale, and more!
If you’re interested in learning about computer vision or building labeled datasets for object detection, checkout my upcoming workshop on April 28th at 5:30pm PDT: Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets. I hope to see you there!
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- The United Nations is turning to artificial intelligence in search for peace in war zones ← Learn how the UN is using natural language processing to help keep peace!
- Penn State launches new artificial intelligence center for engineered systems
- Artificial Intelligence Key to Maintaining Military, Economic Advantages, Leaders Say ← Interesting to see official government organizations continue to invest in AI.
- Using Machine Learning to Rescue Clinical Trials in Trouble During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Retail robots coming to these grocery stores ← Robotics and machine learning continue to expand into physical retail spaces.
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- PyTorchVideo a new framework by Facebook “PyTorchVideo is a deep learning library with a focus on video understanding work. PytorchVideo provides reusable, modular and efficient components needed to accelerate the video understanding research.”
- How to Choose a CI Framework for Deep Learning
- Training Transformers at Scale With PyTorch Lightning “Introducing Lightning Transformers, a new library that seamlessly integrates PyTorch Lightning, HuggingFace Transformers and Hydra, to scale up deep learning research across multiple modalities.”
- Reconstructing thousands of particles in one go at the CERN LHC with TensorFlow
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets (Apr 28–5:30pm PDT): ← I’ll be teaching this, so come say hi!
- Document Understanding — NLP & OCR Innovations at MIT CSAIL (Apr 28–5:30pm PDT)
- Deep Reinforcement Learning and Its Applications (Apr 28–6:00pm PDT) “What is the most exciting AI news in recent years? AlphaGo! What are key techniques for AlphaGo? Deep learning and reinforcement learning (RL)!”
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Risto Miikkulainen: Neuroevolution and Evolutionary Computation
- Creating Robust Language Representations with Jamie Macbeth
- Reinforcement Learning for Industrial AI with Pieter Abbeel
- Andrea Thomaz on how Moxi the robot helped hospital nurses through Covid ← very neat to learn more about this use case for robotics in healthcare!
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- MT-Opt: Continuous Multi-Task Robotic Reinforcement Learning at Scale
- Fusing the Old with the New: Learning Relative Camera Pose with Geometry-Guided Uncertainty
- Measuring what Really Matters: Optimizing Neural Networks for TinyML
- Interpreting intermediate convolutional layers of CNNs trained on raw speech
- Temporal Modulation Network for Controllable Space-Time Video Super-Resolution
- Causal-TGAN: Generating Tabular Data Using Causal Generative Adversarial Networks
🤝 Connect with AI practitioners of all levels
- Stay connected with artificial intelligence and machine learning practitioners around the world! Slack Group | LinkedIn Group